Stop Robbing Almost Immediately?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

Stop Robbing Almost Immediately?

Post by ski »

I saw this on Beesource and wondered if anyone has tried it. I suspect it might work if the robbing is just getting started.

From Beesource post:
Greetings,
I hate robbing. This has worked for me the two times I have tried it, one being today.

First, put on an entrance reducer using the tiny entrance. Now take an outer cover, set one end on the ground and lean it up onto the hive body so it shades the landing board and the tiny entrance. I slide the cover so the shade is significant in front of the tiny entrance.

The hive will figure out the new flight plan but the robbers will continue to fly up the outside of the hive cover and not enter the shaded area around the sides. At least it has worked for me almost immediately and the tiny entrance alone did not.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthr ... mmediately
Just some thoughts.
donwal
Guard bee

Re: Stop Robbing Almost Immediately?

Post by donwal »

I have not had a problem with robbing in the past couple of years. But, I believe this year it is going to be a big problem. I had to close up one of hives yesterday and another one today because of robbing. I'm going to try to set-up some "feeding stations" away from the bee yard. Hoping to try and change the direction of the robbers.