Dark honey

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Bsummitkeeper
Nursebee

Dark honey

Post by Bsummitkeeper »

I was late extracting this year and just finally got it done. Our honey was considerably darker than I've gotten the last few years and definitely has a different taste. I won't say molasses but it does have a strong taste. I was just wondering if this is what others have seen or if I'm out on an island. On a side note I extracted a couple mediums from two new hives I moved to a farm about five miles away from my main location and that honey was a little litghter but still much darker than the last few years.

I'm attempting to attach a picture of a bottle from this and last year.
ski
Guard bee

Re: Dark honey

Post by ski »

My honey was darker this year as well.
I don't separate light looking frames from dark, they all get extracted and for the most part are all mixed together.
My neighbor said it was sweeter then last year.
Last year he said my honey was not as sweet as honey he got from the Florida orange grove region.
Just some thoughts.
Belewsboy

Re: Dark honey

Post by Belewsboy »

My honey was quite dark this year...like you said, molasses. It has a slightly more bold flavor than previous years. It is due to the girls hitting the Poplar Trees harder than previous years. I think the Spring rains in the previous years had washed out a lot of the nectar from their blooms. But everyone seems to like the dark!
I actually had a pretty good harvest considering all the swarming that took place.