Classes for beekeeping?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

WWBirdsnBees

Classes for beekeeping?

Post by WWBirdsnBees »

I have been so enthusiastic about my learning experience with bees that some friends are eager to learn how to begin. With our 'enormous' experience of having only 2 hives for not quite a year (!), we are definitely not qualified to tutor anyone!

So what classes/programs can I refer them to? I hear it's too late to get folks into the NCSU project that starts in April. We sure don't want to lose the momentum.

Beth
WWBirdsnBees

Post by WWBirdsnBees »

Whoops - I had looked for classes and programs under "Coming Clases" on the site but it was under construction and I didn't click on the "Beginners" link until after I posted my question. Drats - dumb again!

Oh well. Maybe it should say - beginners click here for classes.

sorry.

B
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Hi Beth:

Sorry for the late posting!

I am afraid that most counties will already have run their beginner classes. Guilford county just finished it's program last Thursday and we had around 60 in attendance.
Wow! How did beekeeping become so popular all of a sudden?
Anyway, my suggestion would be to just come to the meetings for any new folks at this point. Doesnt cost anything to come and listen. We always have new speakers and everyone picks up a little bit of something.
We also have a field day coming up on the 16th of April. The location is in Summerfield on Penns Grove Rd. Should be good time to enjoy yhe property, talk to other beekeepers and EAT.
If you would like more info, check back soon under the area of newsletters on the main web page. We will post all the details in the next week or so.
Dont lose the momentum! It will be tricky to find bees for your friends at this point, but someone will be able to help!
Kurt :roll: