Bees and Mosquito treatment

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

tararusiewicz
Newbee

Bees and Mosquito treatment

Post by tararusiewicz »

Hi. I am starting my first hive this spring, and we usually have our yard barrier sprayed for mosquitoes every spring/summer (usually about every 4 weeks). Will this be safe for my bees? Our mosquito guy says that they have a bee friendly treatment, but I wanted to double check and make sure.
Thanks!
ski
Guard bee

Re: Bees and Mosquito treatment

Post by ski »

I have not dealt with commercial spraying for mosquitoes.
But if the guy says its bee friendly it may very well bee bee friendly.
I guess you could always ask what they are spraying and research the chemical.

If it were my hives I would find out what day he is coming and close up all entrances the night before.
If it is going to be sunny and warm I would cover the hives with a soaking wet bed sheet or burlap to keep the hives cool until the spraying is completed.
Just some thoughts.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I had 30 plus hives in Ms. during the early 1980's. They sprayed every month down there. When they came by, it would fog over my whole yard. It never hurt the bees.They sprayed at night and the guy said it was only effective for 4 hours. I would ask your guys to do it at dusk or after dark.

PS. Welcome to the forum.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm not trying to direct you to a particular conclusion, just giving you some things to look at, research, and consider--

http://blogs.nicholas.duke.edu/thegreen ... chemicals/