Supering for the honey flow

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

herbcoop
Forager

Re: Supering for the honey flow

Post by herbcoop »

so talking to a couple of others in my area that have bees, all think the main flow is over and not many are bragging on getting much capped honey.
Do you think because of the mild winter & the heavy rains we just got at the end of April and begging of May diminished the nectar or hindered the blooming?
I had 2 years of my 2 hives dying over the winter and this year I have 4 that made it through the winter that I was Wooohooo!!!! but disappointed that there isn't much capped honey, I'll check this weekend to see if they back filled any into the Deeps before they got into the shallows.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I have heard of and have had mixed results. When Nancy Ruppert spoke at the GCBA meeting a couple of months ago and said she was seeing bees about 3 weeks ahead of where they normally are, I got my swarm lure set up and put drawn, open comb on my strongest hives. Those hives have capped and are capping honey in very good amounts. Hives that were not as strong and did not get honey supers until the beginning of our normal flow period have not done nearly as much. I do think it was a matter of having supers on for the very early flow--that got hindered by the two 20 degree nights--and then having bees finish up the frames as a so so flow followed.
herbcoop
Forager

Post by herbcoop »

thank you for your reply :-)