Looking for Mentor - Julian, NC

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

MikeMiller

Looking for Mentor - Julian, NC

Post by MikeMiller »

Howdy folks!

I live in Julian, NC and would like to meet a mentor or other beekeepers in the area to work with and learn best practices. I am new to beekeeping and setup my first hive this past spring. The hive appears to be doing well. I had a few beetles in the summer that the bees mostly took care of themselves and I helped with a trap and some squishing.

If it is not too late in the year, I'd like to do an inspection with a more experienced beekeeper; maybe inspect/treat for mites if needed, and see if there are any recommendations before winter.

I plan to get 1 or maybe 2 more packages in the spring.

Thank you,

Mike Miller
Julian, NC
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Looking for Mentor - Julian, NC

Post by Wally »

Welcome to the forum, Mike. I'll give others closer to you a chance to respond, but if no one does by tomorrow afternoon, I'll make another post with my number and a couple others in your area.
MikeMiller

Post by MikeMiller »

Much appreciated. I've watched a lot of videos on youtube, but nothing beats some hands-on practice and observation. I was at last weeks meeting and signed up.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Give me a call at 336 740-1703 and we will see what will work with the weather and with our schedules. There are mentors closer to you than I am, but time is getting short for making sure your bees are in as good a shape as they can be in for winter.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

And my number is 336-302-2708.
Take your choice.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

We are planning on a hive inspection and sugar roll to get a mite count. Weather permitting, we will get that done Tuesday afternoon.
MikeMiller

Post by MikeMiller »

I just wanted to say thanks to Jacobs for coming out and helping with my mite inspection as well as advise for hive placement and getting ready for winter. It was fun although a bit breezy!

I attached a few pictures. (I think.)
Attachments
IMG_7106.jpg
IMG_7106.jpg (183.48 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
IMG_7109.jpg
IMG_7109.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 9202 times
IMG_7107.jpg
IMG_7107.jpg (199.29 KiB) Viewed 9202 times