Swarm-7/6/18

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Swarm-7/6/18

Post by Jacobs »

Swarm_7-6-18_IMG_2541.JPG
Swarm_7-6-18_IMG_2541.JPG (46.47 KiB) Viewed 8461 times
My neighbor called late Thursday afternoon about a swarm that had arrived on a construction site he was at. This new hotel off Highway 68 was not ready for check in of these guests. I went early Friday morning and vacuumed them up. When I hived them, I gave them some stinky old comb with some significant wax moth infestation. I don't know if it was the presence of new bees or the smell of the old comb in the air, but it set off a certain amount of chaos in my bee yard. The swarm was of a decent size, at least 3lb. package sized. I don't know if it was a "swarm" pushed out of a location by all of the construction on this site and nearby or if it is one of the recent swarms caused by healthy hives getting crowded.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Re: Swarm-7/6/18

Post by DuaneB »

I wish someone had told me. I go to that Wendy's just about every day. I work at Qorvo (formally RFMD), and live less than 5 mile from there. I could ALWAYS use more bees.

How can I get 'in the know'?

Duane
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

We have passed the real swarm season now, so I quit the daily rotation of GCBA members on our swarm list. If you are a current member of GCBA next February, I would suggest that you look at the list, see what zones you want to cover, and send me a request to be put on the list. This swarm did not come from our list. My neighbor 2 doors down was working at the site when the bees arrived. He contacted me and the site supervisor and we arranged the pick up. Being a July swarm ("A swarm in July is not worth a fly.") I was not surprised that they never did get well organized and function. I now strongly suspect the bees had been pushed out of their original hive by construction and I never did see a functioning queen.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

Hi Jacob,

You probably don't remember me. We've met several times. I did fill out the online form to have my name added to the list. But its all good. Still a newbee. I'll concentrate on getting my three hive to overwinter.

Thanks,
Duane
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

We have had some sort of miscommunication. I got your e mails about the mentor program, but I don't have one from you regarding the swarm list. We do not have an online form to be put on the swarm list. If I missed your request, I am sorry.
DuaneB
Guard bee

Post by DuaneB »

No worries. I'll send that email soon.

Thanks,
Duane