4/16 Second Swarm

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

WannaBee1
Forager

4/16 Second Swarm

Post by WannaBee1 »

Hived another swarm yesterday (4/16/19) at Elam Gardens. This makes two in eight days! It was wrapped around the limb of a peach tree and was the size of a thick loaf of bread.

Curiously, there is another "swarm" that's been hanging under the screened bottom board of my tallest hive. I'm assuming it's a swarm because they are clustered tightly, are covering the entire screened bottom board and have begun drawing comb. They only cluster more tightly when smoked. This is the second hive to do this since late March. What's going on here?
Wally
Guard bee

Re: 4/16 Second Swarm

Post by Wally »

Most likely the queen got lost coming back from her mating flight and wound up on the bottom. They need to be removed and put in a nuc or hive.
WannaBee1
Forager

Post by WannaBee1 »

Thanks, Wally! I'm going to try to move them into a hive this morning. If the comb they've built contains eggs/larvae I will try and band it to an open frame. If no eggs are present, I will let them have the drawn comb in the new hive and save what they've built to melt. Is that what you would do? WWWD...What would Wally do... :lol:
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

That's about what I would plan. Of course, when in a bee activity, I am always ready to change plans instantly when the circumstances require it.