Swarm/Abscond 7/18/19 (central GSO - waiting to be caught in my own yard 2:15pm)

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Swarm/Abscond 7/18/19 (central GSO - waiting to be caught in my own yard 2:15pm)

Post by reedyfork »

It appears that the stronger of my two new hives swarmed or absconded this morning. Crazy activity and flying around at 7:00-7:30, with bees pouring out of the entrance. All was normal about 15 min later. Then I heard buzzing in my yard and looked up to find the swarm on a branch of my giant hickory tree about 50' up...

I just got back home and they are still there. I'm in central Greensboro if anyone has Swarm Commander and the desire to try and get them! I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow, so in no position to do anything about them myself...

Send me a PM if anyone's interested.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Swarm/Abscond 7/18/19 (central GSO - waiting to be caught in my own yard 2:15pm)

Post by reedyfork »

Update: the swarm is still there at 5:30. Hopefully someone can come set up a box and lure it down before it disappears...
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Swarm/Abscond 7/18/19 (central GSO - waiting to be caught in my own yard 2:15pm)

Post by reedyfork »

Update #2: apparently my swarm didn't do much pre-planning, so are going to spend the night on the same branch they've been on since 7:30 this morning. I am still learning, but always assumed they'd have a new home scouted and picked out BEFORE leaving the hive...

I'm up early and will be here at the house pretty much most of the day tomorrow in case anyone wants to give it a try. I'm near UNCG.