Looking for two old drawn-out deep frames

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Looking for two old drawn-out deep frames

Post by reedyfork »

Not sure if it's kosher to ask this or not... I am adding a third hive this spring, and I REALLY want to get it started by catching a swarm. However, I'm using deep boxes for this hive (my other two are all-mediums), so I don't have any old, dark, drawn-out deep frames. If anyone is willing to part with a couple of frames, I would be very appreciative!
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Looking for two old drawn-out deep frames

Post by Jacobs »

I don't know if I have much in the way of deep comb, but if you are not successful at getting deeps, use old medium frames in your bait hive. If a swarm moves in, they will be in comb drawing mode and will likely turn your medium frame into a make-shift deep. Most of the time when I have seen this, the bees build drone comb below the bottom bar, but sometimes they will draw worker sized comb. Fill the rest of the deep with your undrawn deep frames. If you leave open space, you will wind up with a mess--bees building comb from the top down and who knows in what direction.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Do what Rob said. I have had many medium frames with nice straight comb on the bottom and used them for years.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Post by reedyfork »

Great! I had no idea you could do that, so thanks for the response.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Not only that, but frames diminish the space in the judgement of the bees. Mediums in a deep box gives them more cluster room and will be more attractive to them. Just check them often and don't allow them to cross comb.