Virus and Swarms

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

red rambler
Nursebee

Virus and Swarms

Post by red rambler »

Big day today. I went to the office to get something out of the shop. On the way spotted a honey bee swarm on a rose bush. Got permission to collect it. Ran to shop and collected a hive box and frames of drawn comb. Collected them an headed to the house.

While I was in the apiary, roof of the shed , spotted a swarm in the front yard. A neighbor kept watch and they gathered about 20 ft up in a hemlock across the street.

A neighborhood project ensued. The spotter had some lemongrass oil to use as an attractant to a box with drawn comb and with a bit of honey.
Julie across the street had a telescopic pruning pole and 8’ step ladder. Taped a bucket to the pole saw and could just take pole with bucket and bump the limb hard enough to gather about a quart of bees. Did this several times. Apparently got the queen in one of those attempts. Shortly the remaining bees began following the queens scent and coming down to the hive box.

A socially distanced group gathered.

Who would have thunk a virus and bees could create community?

Neighbors met. Bees safe. And now there’s a story to be told.
Be well!
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Virus and Swarms

Post by reedyfork »

I love it. Thanks for sharing!