Charging for trap-out?

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

reedyfork
Guard bee

Charging for trap-out?

Post by reedyfork »

For those of you who perform trap-outs and cut-outs "for hire", how do you go about determining the cost you charge a client? Do you have a set fee, charge by the hour, etc.?

Related to that, is there any reason a trap-out this time of year would not be successful (assuming I'll combine the bees with another small colony I have)?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Charging for trap-out?

Post by Jacobs »

You may want to check with Mark Case. His number is in the swarm list on our website.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Post by reedyfork »

Fall Trap-out Lesson #1: this should have been obvious, but turns out that the same resources that are meant to attract the trapped-out bees you want also attract nearby robbers!!! So on day #2 when I added a frame of honey and a frame of eggs/brood, robbers quickly found it and overwhelmed the half frame of bees, leaving a bunch of dead bees and totally empty frames...

Not exactly sure what to do now, other than sit back and hope for the best. Any advice out there?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I never tried a trap out this late in the season. Your robbing issue does make sense--a weak, queenless hive with resources the bees cannot protect. I don't know if a shim and sugar brick on the bait hive would be less tempting to robbers, but it may put out less scent. I would be afraid to try any pollen patty in it because of SHB.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Who suggested a frame of honey? In 20 years of trapping, I never recommended honey, only a frame containing eggs. If you want to feed the trap, do so 100 feet away.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Post by reedyfork »

Ha - that's a great question Wally. I have a feeling that's something I made up on my own! In my mind I was probably thinking they would need immediate resources due to the time of year, but never once did I consider the impact of robbing. Since this was my first attempted trap-out in the fall, now I know better...