2 queens

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

2 queens

Post by Kurt Bower »

It seems that almost every year I come across a hive or two with 2 queens. While this is not uncommon (seeing mother and daughter laying side by side) what I saw seemed a little unusual and I have not run across before.
During a routine examination, I came across the queen in the very top box (medium super.) The next medium super down was almost all honey. Then when inspecting the deep box on the bottom I noticed the 2nd queen.
All this to say I was surprised by the distance between the pair. I removed one with a frame of brood and started another hive.
Works for me!
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Never say never, and never say always, when it comes to bees. They will prove you wrong.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

Maybe it is just the year for wierd stuff. I have a hive that has four open queen cells. All have hatched because they are hinged and not chewed through, yet I can not find any evidence of a queen. I will look again in a few day in case she is not laying yet.

It will be June 1 before I can get one from Jack. They may not be worth trying to save at that point.