Finally got stung today

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Smoke, smoke, smoke.

NEVER lift a lid without smoke. It's a game of Russian Roulette. One time out of 6 you lose.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

A dearth. Less nectar, more defense of the stores. Less nectar, more inclination for robbing to start. This really hot weather has probably dried up a lot of the nectar out there.

There are other reasons why a hive may become more aggressive, but, in my opinion, this is the most likely explanation given the weather/time of year.
drewgrim
Guard bee

Post by drewgrim »

i have been stung right above the eye, doing stupid things. now when ever i go to a hive i always wear a veil. take it from me it is worth putting on the veil even to change the feeder.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I am with Drew on this one. I never go work around my hives without a veil. Stung twice on the head and boy it makes a funny picture.

The scenario you have is exactly what happened several years ago. Feeding with no problems and one day, they were not happy.

Wally is correct. Smoke is your friend.
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

I have had to learn the lesson the hard way as well. Smoke, veil, and gloves most of the time now. Especially since my hands tend to swell pretty big if I am stung there.

My next purchase will be a good jacket!
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!
Doug Shaw
Nursebee

Post by Doug Shaw »

My experience has been the more I get or let them sting me the less my reaction to the stings. I think in my case is that my bodies resistant to bee venom is going up. I even will let a stinger pump in the venom for several minutes. This has worked for me but everyone is different so approach with caution. One thing is for sure I am not afraid of getting stung and know that the reaction to it is minimal. Learning to handle the hive with care will reduce the likelihood of getting stung in the first place.
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

Doug,

You're right. I is important to handle the hive carefully. It seems I have a bit of the opposite reaction to the venom than you have. I started out without protection but now where it on a regular basis. That is my comfort level at present.

Getting stung still hurts. I may need to check out the Stingless bee session at the EAS conference!
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!