theohiocountryboy - Requeening a vicious hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

ski
Guard bee

theohiocountryboy - Requeening a vicious hive

Post by ski »

Here is a video of a vicious hive and how it was handled by "theohiocountryboy" I thought it was nicely documented.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmmtjFgdqz8
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

The video was pretty neat. I noticed he was using plastic brood boxes. I haven't seen many people using those. It looked like each box had a top entrance in it. Is that the case? Are there any real advantages to it?

It sure looked like one of the UltraBreeze Jackets!
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Hey Jim,
The plastic boxes are more expensive and could have water condense on them a bit easier then wood (my opinion). It does look like they each had a hole for a top entrance most likely added by the beekeeper as I have not seen any additional holes in plastic boxes in the catalogs.
Top entrances can be good for ventilation year round and some beekeepers like them above the brood nest so foragers can enter directly into the honey super and bypass the brood nest. Upper entrances can also be used without bottom entrances they are then good for keeping pests out like mice and great for deterring skunks from scratching on the front entrance and eating bees.

Yes it did look like an ultrabreeze jacket, I like mine and its great they are taking orders again.
Ski