Do we have programs for our kids?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Zulu
Site Admin

Do we have programs for our kids?

Post by Zulu »

I am new here, and will hopefully meet a number of you Tuesday Night, but my 10 year old son is really interested in learning with me. He loves animals and shows great passion in things he understands and likes. He has been reading some of my books , and asked if he can have a "Hazmat suit" too and help me with the bees.

I wondered if we do any kids based programs in Guilford County?

The beginners course is far too late for him and I think I read you must be 21 anyway.

I might make one of my first hives an observation hive, or maybe add one later based on feedback.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Bring him to the meeting. Then maybe we can make plans to show him in a hive at my place when the weather warms.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

We do not have a class for children but several of us give bee presentations to school classes and other groups. If your son wants to do bees, suit him up and get him in on the fun. He does not have to be any given age to attend the class or to be a beekeeper. We only ask that if you attend the course, you try and stay awake and not be too disruptive regardless of your age!

We will be posting our mentor list on this site once the beekeeping course gets under way. If you call upon one of the mentors once you get into your bees, I cannot imagine that any of us would be anything but thrilled to have an enthusiastic young person there working the bees and learning beekeeping beside you.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Jacobs, did my snoring bother you at the last classes... :twisted: :D

We can even invite Zulu and son to the tree dismantling if they want to come.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Absolutely. The last tree opening was fun for a bunch of us. I can hardly wait for those 60 degree plus days again.
Zulu
Site Admin

Post by Zulu »

Wally wrote:Jacobs, did my snoring bother you at the last classes... :twisted: :D

We can even invite Zulu and son to the tree dismantling if they want to come.
Love to be there.

Looks like my son may come along Tuesday night, bit late for him , but mom gave permission this one time.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Wonderful.... Give Mom an extra hug for letting him come.

In fact, bring Mom, too. There will be many ladies there. Many lady beeks, many just visiting.
Newbee Jim
Nursebee

Post by Newbee Jim »

I brought my 8 year old to the classes with me. We got him his own veil and he now describes our one hive as his. It was late nights for him and he did have to have homework done prior to going. However, it has encouraged him to start to develop an interest.

He gave a presentation to his Den at Cub Scouts and did really well.

He helps me when we go into the hive and helped install the package.

I guess what I am getting at is it can't hurt to let learn with others. Just keep in mind the attention required may be a bit much for someone that young.
Jim
-I don't know what I don't know!