How should I store my empty hive for new bees this spring?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I would go with the freezer option if it is available. Wax moths are a major problem with comb that has pollen in it or is brood comb. They don't really seem to attack empty drawn comb that has only contained honey. Your wax foundation would not have the pollen/brood comb residue that attracts the moths and would explain why you haven't experienced their destructive ways.

Your frames that have nectar may ferment if they get warm enough, and freezing will preserve this resource for future feeding. For now, small hive beetles are not a danger, but as soon as it gets warm enough for them to be out, I would not want to have any exposed nectar/honey frames out where they can lay eggs and slime them up. The drawn comb is too valuable a resource to let it get destroyed and the stored honey and nectar will be a real boost to your next bees.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Assuming that you are going to use it again soon, you can just store it in an outbuilding. We should get a couple more freezing days at which time move the equipment from outside to inside (non-heated).
Wax moths are not usually a problem until about mid-April to early May if stored in this manner.
Re-use again as soon as you get your new bees which should be in early April?
best of luck.
Kurt
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I would do what those guys said but I wanted to mention two other methods for storing comb just to to put them out there:

A beekeeper on Besource (and maybe Wally) sells Bt aizawai that is sprayed on comb to make it wax moth proof for a long time.

The commercial beekeeping suppliers(Brushy Mountain...) sell Para-Moth (paradichlorobenzene) NOT MOTH CRYSTALS. Check your bee catalogs.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Brushy just started taking package orders 2/1, and Triad Bee Supply is offering packages--see the local seller sticky in our wanted/for sale portion of the forum board for their contact information. I think Larry Tate in Winston-Salem (same sticky for contact information) will be offering packages and maybe nucs.

GCBA members can contact me for inclusion on our package purchase/pick up list until the number we have reserved has been spoken for.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

If you put them in the garage, keep in mind things like gasoline lets off fumes. Wax loves to absorb fumes and hold them. If the wax smells like gas or other chemicals, the bees may not accept and will leave.