Supering up

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

dhamiltn
Nursebee

Supering up

Post by dhamiltn »

Just did a quick inspection - both of my package bee hives are capping the top super of honey and have drawn the other super out to about 80%. Is it pointless to put another (undrawn) super on at this point since the tulip poplars have stopped blooming?

As an aside, I'm pleasantly surprised by the productivity of these package bees.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Supering up

Post by Wally »

The privet is in full bloom. The clover is blooming. The mimosa hasn't even started yet. The flow should continue until the end of June. If the top box is capped, I would put the new one under it, above the brood.
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Re: Supering up

Post by dhamiltn »

Good answer! Since my wording wasn't clear, each of the two hives has a top super in the processing of being capped, and a nearly fully-drawn super underneath already. So I'm planning to add a third above the brood in a little while.

I've seen a few bees at a time working a privet bush near my house, but not with the intensity I imagine the tulip poplar invoke. Perhaps the majority of the foragers are still headed to something stronger.