Tulip Poplars blooming!

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

SmithN
Guard bee

Tulip Poplars blooming!

Post by SmithN »

The Tulip Poplars are starting to bloom!
I was using my binoculars looking at what I thought could be a swarm, it was just a squirrel's nest, but I noticed color in the tree and on closer inspection I discovered Tulip Poplar blossoms beginning to bloom!
The bee calendar has it blooming about the 25th of April for the Piedmont, it's usually about a week later in my area.
I live in Hickory (foothills of NC)
If you haven't added your honey supers, now would be the time.
Everyone has an opinion, this is mine.
Norma :)
herbcoop
Forager

Re: Tulip Poplars blooming!

Post by herbcoop »

woohoo, yep I added a shallow super on Tuesday. I was doing a hive inspection on Sunday and my medium super was heavy and I thought I'd wait until this coming Saturday to add it but looking at the forcast for the rest of the week and the last warm day was on Tuesday I went ahead and added it. Being my fist full year I'm excited to see the progress on the shallow
Herb from Thomasville
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Post by dhamiltn »

There's a large tulip poplar I drive by in McLeansville (eastern Guilford county) every day, and, unless my eyes are getting really bad, I don't think it's bloomed yet. The bees are filling the supers up with other things, though.
dhamiltn
Nursebee

Post by dhamiltn »

Took a look this morning on the way to work, and it is in bloom now.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I noticed tulip poplar blooms on the ground in the park where I walk. I am also seeing some open blooms on the tulip poplar in my front yard. I hope the rains won't wash away too much of the nectar and that my bees will decide to make some tulip poplar honey this season.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

I was in hives and watching the landing board on Thursday and Friday this week. Several bees had Tulip poplar pollen all over their backs so it must have started Wed or Thur. this year. A little later than some years.
specialkayme
Forager

Post by specialkayme »

I hope you guys are right in that the Poplars just started mid to late last week. I heard a guy in WS mention that the flow was on for him about two and a half weeks ago. I didn't get a chance to ask him what plants he was talking about, but usually this area that means Tulip Poplar.

I don't know about anyone else, but so far this season has been abysmal. Populations have been growing, but stores have been continuously shrinking. If the flow doesn't start soon, I'm going to have to supplement with some feed.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I was also seeing and smelling nectar on inspections about 2-3 weeks ago--before the tulip poplars. I'll have to follow up on your alert to see if that nectar has been consumed or if my bees are adding to stores. Thanks for the heads up.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I checked some nucs yesterday that we made up last month. I had to add space, as they had filled everything with nectar and pollen, and were starting to build burr comb to put more in. My eyesight is too far gone to know if the poplar is blooming.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6jo5vdagprvo ... =292548853

One stop shopping for honey bee. Big nectar puddle.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Beautiful pic. Thanks for posting it.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Earlier this week I saw fully open tulip poplar blooms on the ground during a morning walk. There were also some unopened blooms that had blown down. I'll have to get my binoculars out and check to see whether we are at the start or fully into the tulip poplar blooming around my house.
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

I saw some today and mostly new blooms on a few early trees. American Holly started opening the last few days also and there are some fields of crimson clover in full bloom in range of some of my hives as well. I wish all my swarms were still in the parent hive hard at work.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

A good number of blooms are open on my tulip poplar, but I can still see unopened buds. Most of the holly is done around the house. If I can keep the bees from swarming, I hope poplar will be in this year's mix.