Robbers?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

pholcomb
Forager

Robbers?

Post by pholcomb »

Yesterday afternoon about 30 mins. after the rain passed there were probably 3 - 5 times the normal number of bees gathered outside my Lang hive. Some were exhibiting what is described as "robbing behavior" in books. Surveying the hive by going side to side rather than straight in, etc. There was no unusual activity outside the Warre hive however. Both hives have entrance reducers in place and top feeders that were filled on Friday. Thirty mins. later, hive activity was back to normal.

Did my bees kick some bee butt and scare the robbers away? Or was this an O'Hare airport-like traffic back-up where the bees were delayed from returning from foraging by the storm and they all got back at the same time? Why was only 1 hive involved?

Thanks.

Paul
Wally
Guard bee

Re: Robbers?

Post by Wally »

May have been a backlog, but most likely was orientation flights. It definitely WAS NOT robbing. You need to have the 3 inch opening in use as a minimum. I have removed all reducers.
pholcomb
Forager

Post by pholcomb »

Thanks. I have the 3 inch in place and have removed it at times. Backlog sounds like a good guess.

Paul
dwbicefam
Newbee

Post by dwbicefam »

Mine had the same thing happen, no entrance reducer, but it looked kind of strange to this newbee. Glad someone else saw the same thing, I don't feel so crazy for wondering.
CB
mike91553
Guard bee

Post by mike91553 »

Wally has the right answer for you. My bees wouldn't even rob honey laying out in the open last week, the flow must be so strong that they don't want any free honey.