Boy Scout Beekeeping booklet

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Zulu
Site Admin

Boy Scout Beekeeping booklet

Post by Zulu »

Some of you may remember I am working with our Troop on a Boy Scout "Merit Badge " project.

Unfortunately BSA have indicated they won't reinstate the Merit Badge, so we decided this was important enough to go ahead and make it an interest project anyway and still do all the requirements as a teaching moment. We had 7 boys originally, and two more have joined ,one has dropped out, 6 adults are active and 4 families now have bee hives. A second Troop is now joining us and tonight a third Scout Master sent a message wanting to discuss the project.

I also undertook to bring the Book that used to be used, up to date. A much longer and bigger project than I thought it would be. The last printing was 1983..... And was hopelessly out of date.... Terminology was also different. What I thought would be just correcting some chapters ended up being a 90% rewrite.

Well after some 6 months plus, the help of some of our members, the first print run returned from the printers this week. I have funded this for now and with the help of a good friend I only paid for material costs, as he did the printing for me.

It is a full color, soft cover , 52 page book , covering all the topics a bee keeper needs to know.
It is designed as a book for scouts obviously, but covers all what we deal with as beeks today and I think it is a good beginner book.
I included many Internet links and references at the back as this is where the next generation looks for their info.

Anyone who has an interest in a copy, I just want my own cost of $3 covered. I can bring some to the next meeting or can post it out too. Cannot link to a pic on my iPad, but can send you on email if you want.

Rick