treat new packages?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

beeramm
Nursebee

treat new packages?

Post by beeramm »

A couple of books I have read suggest the possible treating of new packages with Fumigilin in the hive top feeder. Also, when would you want to start sugar dusting after installing a new package? How do bees react to sugar dusting compared to sugar/water spraying? Calming or excited reaction? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Wally
Guard bee

Re: treat new packages?

Post by Wally »

I would do nothing to a new package the first 30 days other than feed.

Then I would do only what the hive checks indicated was needed.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

It sounds like you have 3 different things in mind. Fumigilin is a nosema treatment. The old version of nosema, nosema apis, is characterized by lots of bee poop on the front of the hives and on the frames inside the hive. You should not need to treat with this when installing a package. You SHOULD expect to see a lot of bee poop at first. The bees have been enclosed for a few days and many will be very anxious to let go with poop once they are free to fly. The poop shower should ease up after a day or two if temperatures allow for bathroom flights.

Lightly misting the bees with sugar water while they are in the package before installing them in the hive calms the bees and gives them something to eat. It occupies some of them in grooming. It lessens the number likely to take flight if you are shaking the bees into the hive. I will be installing 2 packages with my neighbor tomorrow. Given the temperatures, we will NOT mist the bees.

Sugar dusting with powdered sugar has proven not to be effective as a varroa mite control. It does make the bees angry.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Thanks for your thoughts. New question: What temperature range do you think it is appropriate to spray a new package? I am scheduled to install 2 packages this Friday (3-29) and was planning on spraying.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Can't help you there. I've never sprayed a package in 35 years of installing.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Wally, if not spraying, do you still install by shaking or by removing frames and setting package in? Tips would be appreciated.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Both ways work fine, but if I have the time, I remove frames and set the package in. If doing away from home and can't be there the next day, I shake.