eggs in burr comb

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

beeramm
Nursebee

eggs in burr comb

Post by beeramm »

I checked for queen release yesterday and removed burr comb from both hives (I have two new hives) after confirmation of release. Upon examination of burr comb I saw eggs in virtually 100% from one hive and approx. 70% in the other. Is the 70% number something to be concerned with?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: eggs in burr comb

Post by Jacobs »

I would not be concerned. The fact that both queens are laying is good. Some are more prolific than others. One may be a slower starter than the other or never be as strong a layer as the other. Both may still wind up being just fine.

This is one of the reasons why it is good to have two hives. You can compare and contrast, and if there is a problem with one, the other may provide you with the resources to remedy the problem.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Thank you for the info. Also, when in my hives I saw one bee with a mite attached. I also saw bees seemingly "stuck" together and were literally strung from one frame to another (between the two frames where the queen cage was hanging). I thought this might be from possibly over spraying with sugar water on installation and they just have not "cleaned" each other free yet. Is it common to have some mites in new packages? Could spraying too much with sugar water cause the "stuck together" observation?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

They are not stuck together. They are hanging in formation passing wax scales up to the brick "wax" layer to build comb. I hope you pushed the frames tightly together before closing hive. Otherwise, they will build that comb between the frames rather than on the frames.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm afraid varroa mites are universal and I would not be shocked to see one on a bee in your package. If they didn't have them when the bees arrived, they will pick them up when they are foraging.

When you have more space in a hive than bee space, like when you left a frame out to make room for your queen cage, the bees will bridge the gap. They are taking measurements to start figuring where to build additional comb. I saw the same thing in my hive today. I had taken a frame out with the queen on it to put in an observation hive and take to a day of bee presentations at Bessemer Elementary School. They went back to normal behavior and stopped the clinging/measuring when I replaced the frame. (Wally beat me to this response.)
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Thank you very much - I was concerned that maybe I had been a little overzealous with the spray. I did put in the last frame and pushed them all together. I guess they will adjust to that now. Thanks again.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Just an added note:
When the bees are chained or linked together in comb building operations it is said that they hang in "Festoons".
So your bees were festooning. Makes it sound like they were having fun.
Just some thoughts.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

Thanks Ski that is some great info. And they probably were having fun until the big guy in the white suit showed up! :lol: