hive top feeder filling frequency

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

beeramm
Nursebee

hive top feeder filling frequency

Post by beeramm »

I want to make sure that I keep feed on my new hives and was wondering if lifting the lid just enough on the back side to check if it was empty (and then adding some syrup if needed) would be too much of an interruption to the hive? If that is not a problem, then how often could one do that check? I currently am using the triad bee supply screened hive top feeder with another flat screen on top of that. Thanks.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: hive top feeder filling frequency

Post by Jacobs »

If the feeder is one that the bees can only access through the screen, I would not hesitate to check fairly often. You don't have to put on a veil and you don't have to smoke the bees with that type. There is only a small portion of the inside of the hive that is exposed to light. Disruption would be minimal. I would gauge the frequency by how quickly they are consuming what you last put in. If it is a feeder that the bees can access the outside when you open it, I would still check fairly frequently, but would put on the veil and lightly smoke the front and under the lifted outer cover about a minute before going in.

If this is a new package on new equipment, you may want to go into the hive every 10 days or so to check on the progress of the bees drawing comb. If they have drawn out 8 of 10 frames (6 of 8 on an 8 frame hive) it is time to add a new super with frames for the bees to continue drawing comb. The 2 outside frames are the most likely not to be drawn out. If this is the case, move them to the inside as far as you can without dividing brood frames.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

When I checked for queen release on day 4 the 1/2 gallon that I put in during install was gone from both hives. At that time I then added 1 gallon to both. I was planning to go into hives this weekend which will be day 15/16, but was wondering last weekend if I should have checked feeder and added some to get by till this weekend. Thanks for the info. Is it possible that my 8 frame hive could have drawn out enough comb in 15-16 days that I might need to add a super/hive already? They sure have been working very steady. Thanks again.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The feeders have most likely been empty for a few days. I would be checking every 4 to 5 days.

Yes, they can draw a frame a day.
beeramm
Nursebee

Post by beeramm »

If they have drawn out to frame 5/6, do I wait until they are basically full to add super or just if they have started on them? Also, should I move some frames from bottom super to top super and if that is recommended, which frames do you move to the top? Thanks again this info is very useful!
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I go by bees. When looking down, if bees are covering all but 2 or 3 spaces between frames, I add a box. Actually, one space between plus 2 frames outside of frames. Hope that makes sense.