Good info for spring.

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally
Guard bee

Good info for spring.

Post by Wally »

pholcomb
Forager

Re: Good info for spring.

Post by pholcomb »

Excellent article. Thanks Wally.

Paul
WannaBee1
Forager

Post by WannaBee1 »

I agree, this is a good article. The guy had a checklist that I thought was very helpful. I might modify it for digital format so I can take it with me when I check my hive.

I do have a question, though. What he's referring to when he writes "bad comb" in the context I've quoted? I'm just not sure if he means foundation they haven't yet drawn out or ones they don't seem to by using.
Total # of Bad Combs?
This is a reminder to bring several good combs to the next inspection. If the bad combs are empty or nearly empty we need to replace them. So many of our members have bad combs that we’re working on a method to induce the bees to clean out the bad combs so they can be replaced.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

A bad comb is any comb you are not happy with. They may have built two combs on the same frame. They may have left an area of plastic they refuse to build on. It may be a large section of drone comb in the brood area. Even an old frame you want to rotate out. Possibly a broken bottom slat. Anything you would like to get out of the hive, you need to have a replacement frame to go in it's place.