No stored honey in my hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

jpcows
Newbee

No stored honey in my hive

Post by jpcows »

I just finished inspecting my hives and I found no stored honey. This is a new hive in spring of 2014 and has been very strong. I found capped brood, and uncapped eggs but no honey. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions. I was hoping not to put a feeder on this early but I want a strong hive going in to winter.
Becky Hampton
Forager

Re: No stored honey in my hive

Post by Becky Hampton »

I had a new hive last year that got robbed out and had to start a new package in mid July. My little hive was in a similar situation to yours. I started feeding heavily in Sept - fed 2:1 syrup. They took the sugar water greedily and built up enough stores to get through winter. They actually made it through the winter, so you probably have enough time to feed and get them the amount of stores they need to make it through the winter.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Feed, feed, feed. If they haven't put up stores, you will need to make sure they have put up 50lbs or so of sugar water "honey" for winter. We cannot count on a fall flow to provide winter feed. When we do get it, it is a (stinky) bonus.
jpcows
Newbee

Post by jpcows »

Thanks,, I new the answer, but I just needed someone to confirm and hoping for an easier answer. Entrance reducer installed and start feeding, I am glad I have a costco membership so I can get the big bags of sugar.