Frame building

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Bsummitkeeper
Nursebee

Frame building

Post by Bsummitkeeper »

I'm starting my 2015 equipment ramp up. I've always hand nailed my frames but I read a lot of posts about people using staples and am thinking about giving that a try. Instead of destroying a bunch of material trying to figure out what works I thought I'd ask.

Anyone that uses an air stapler care to share what type staples, what air pressure you use or any other advise on using staples?
ski
Guard bee

Re: Frame building

Post by ski »

I use staples but also apply Tightbond glue. As other folks have written the nails or staples are there to hold things together until the glue dries.

I run two nail guns so I don’t have to change between staples and brads. The air pressure is around 85-90 PSI.

The staple gun is from Harbor Freight and I use ¼ inch crown staples either 1” or 1.25” long to secure the top bar and bottom bar to the sides.
The brad nailer is a bostich and is used to put a brad through the side bar into the top bar.

Using the nailers and the frame jig from Brushy Mountain it moves along pretty well.

The only comment I have is to make sure you keep the stapler straight up and down or the staples will shoot out the side.
Just some thoughts.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm glad Ski handled the technical part--I still use nails and tack hammers. A frame jig does come in handy if you need to speed up the process. I'm including a link that has pictures/plans for a simple one you can build instead of spending $ buying one.

http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htm
Bsummitkeeper
Nursebee

Post by Bsummitkeeper »

Thanks for the information, it will be put to good use!!!