swarm in Elon

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

mike91553
Guard bee

swarm in Elon

Post by mike91553 »

A lady called me this afternoon asking advice of hiveing a difficult swarm. They were on the trunk of a tree that was covered with English Ivy. She had a box with drawn comb from a dead out set up close and had added some honey b healthy. Told her move it close as possible and take a frame of open brood without the bees from her strongest hive. Go up the ladder and hold the frame in the bees until a bunch walk on it and put some in the box one frame at the time until they start fanning good.
Don/t know how it turned out for her.

Was there a better way to get them.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: swarm in Elon

Post by Jacobs »

I don't know that it is any better, but the bees will walk on and cover the dark old brood comb, even without brood in it. The more dark frames you have the better. By getting the bees to walk on several frames, it really reduced the cluster and I was able to locate the queen on 1 of them. The brood frame is a good idea for trying to anchor the new swarm and keep it from leaving the hive box.

I do have a 5 gallon bucket bee vacuum (thanks Sam Coble) and a small generator that has proven very handy when a swarm is spread out along a limb, or is in among bush branches that cannot be cut.
mike91553
Guard bee

Re: swarm in Elon

Post by mike91553 »

That one flew away today.