Weak and strong hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

d'sbees
Newbee

Weak and strong hive

Post by d'sbees »

I have two new hives started from packages this spring. Both are 8 frame med. boxes. During past three weeks one hive has become much stronger and is doing great, full of bees and honey and good laying pattern.
The other one doesn't have nearly as many bees and when inspecting today there are only two frames with capped brood and one queen cell that doesn't look like it has hatched.
I switched the hive positions hoping some foragers will go into the weak hive and help.
What should I do? Do I need a new queen or should I wait to see if they raise a new one?
Should I take some of the frames with brood from the strong hive and add to the weak hive?
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Weak and strong hive

Post by Jacobs »

I attempted a reply to your post, but there really are too many unknowns to give a good response. If you want to give me a call (740-1703) I can get more information. The weak hive may be one where the queen will improve with a boost in number of workers, has Carniolan characteristics and cuts back on brood as nectar supplies slow, or may be a dud and the workers are in the process of replacing her. Really knowing what is going on in that hive is key to deciding a next step.