Where I will place my hive

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Locust&Honey

Where I will place my hive

Post by Locust&Honey »

How much will direct sunlight affect a new hive? What I mean is that by this time next year the place I cleared out for my hive will have some shade in the heat of the day. The forage will grow out just right to make the spot I have cleared out and prepared a perfect spot. But...until next year it will most likely be in the open sunlight. Let me know if this will be a major or not. :oops:
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

L&H

Will it be in the sunlight for the whole day or just part of the day?

There is a theory that direct sunlight cuts back on the SHB. Some shade is good some sun is good. Maybe you should just let the bees tell you if its too much sun.
:)

Ski
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I have never really seen too much sun.
The theory on SHB is correct. I have a couple of yards. The one in the sun is almost SHB free while the one in the shade has SHB all of the time.
But.... the one in the shade has stronger hives and produces more honey consistently. Coincidence?
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

The hive will be in direct sunlight all day this year only. Next year, the branches should grow back out enough to give 3 o'clock to dusk shade. Now...SHB, is this the Japenese Beetle or June Bug??? What's the difference???? Thanks also for your replies. :D
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

HEy L&H

The small hive beetle is about the size of a lady bug. IT lives in the hive and eats honey. It has been stated that they have learned to communicate in some way that when they beg for food the bees will feed them.
The harmful part besides the honey is the SHB will lay eggs and the larva will eat the comb and make a big mess. But a strong hive will either chase the beetle out or remove the SHB larva. Best defense is to have a strong hive.
I thought the comment from Kurt was intresting about the hives in the sun do not have a problem with SHB but the hives in the shade do have small hive beetle but are stronger. There always seem to be a trade off.

I have also read that Screened bottom boards also seem to help reduce the SHB population. The Screened Bottom Boards (SBB) are a part of Integrated Pest Management (IPM). Other methods that I have read about include SHB traps that have vegetable oil in them to drown the beetle the trap is placed under the SBB. Another method was to place a board in the hive the same size as a frame. Cut quarter inch kerfts in the board. The beetle likes to hide in the kerfts. Then just remove the board and crush the beetles. There is also a product called Guard star that you put on the ground outside the hive, this would kill the larva from the SHB that crawles out of the hive and boroughs into the ground to pupate.
Here is web site that tells a little more about the SHB. IF you do a Google search on the web it will bring up a lot more sites.

http://www.msstate.edu/Entomology/Beeke ... eetles.htm

Hope this helps. :)

Ski
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Thanks Ski. That does really help. Hopefully I will be able to keep a strong hive. :? It is getting closer to the time when I will recieve my bees. I have been going crazy waiting to get them. By the way, I also missed 8 on the test. Easy ones too. Oh well... :lol:
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Missing 8 should put us in the 80% catagory Hope that is passing.

Did the POST "answers to the study guide" help at all ?

I am getting anxious as well for the bees to be here. The flowers and trees are blooming and other folks are talking about bees bringing in pollen. Grrrr my bees are still in anothe state somewhere waiting for the trip.
I don't mind answering questions that I have read something about especially since the "wally's and Kurts" are looking over my shoulder. I wish we could get more people on this forum.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Yes Ski, the POST did help. I printed it out and took it to work and read it every chance I got. I didn't know you guys were doing that on here when the class was going on. If I did I would have chipped in. You learn more by doing the research than just reading what has been done. Thanks again. :P I really do wish that more people would join in on the posts also. I think that when the "season" starts that there will be more. Then we can hopefully have some regulars. I will be getting two hives from my uncles splits when they happen. And I am trying to get Wally to hook me up with a nuc also. Hopefully that pans out because all my fruit trees are blooming.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

L&H

I am glad :) to hear that someone actually read and used the study guide. I agree that you do learn a lot by looking up and documenting stuff.

I wish we had advertised the site sooner but it was one of those last minute "I got an Idea" type of things.

I WISH OTHERS WOULD COMMENT ON THE STUDY GUIDE. GOOD BAD INDIFFERENT WHATEVER. STUFF LIKE THAT CAN ALWAYS BE IMPROVED SO THERE WON'T BE ANY HARD FEELINGS FROM ME.

:arrow: Maybe it can be improved by next years students. :) :wink:

Ski
Jacobs
Guard bee

Study Guide

Post by Jacobs »

I found the guide and answers to be very helpful. I will try and be more active on the forum. It's just that being so new at it, I feel like I have little to offer.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Jacobs, welcome and thanks for coming on board.

Just remember, old timers repeat constantly. Most new info comes from new sources. All have good input, if we can just get them to post.