Danger of Starvation

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Danger of Starvation

Post by Ron Young »

Are we past the danger of starvation in the Greensboro/Mcleansville area. (beginner question)

Seems to be a lot of trees in bloom, but I am not sure if they provide a significant source of early nectar?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Relax, new daddy, the kids are fine. :)
Ron Young
Guard bee

Just wanted to be sure.

Post by Ron Young »

Hey Wally,

I just wanted to be sure. It would be a true shame to get the colony this far, split it into two, and watch them perish because I did not do my job. I really can not believe the difference in the split now that the queen has hatched out. I would have never guessed it. I am thinking that I should add a deep to the hive for more brood room after about two weeks of her laying, does this sound right?

I just went into the queen-right hive, the one that had the original queen following the split, and she is laying in a text book pattern. I did find the beginnings of a queen cell, however it was on an outside frame that did not have larvae, pupae, or eggs in it. I am thinking that it was a practice cell. I did move two frames up into the second deep box, and put two empty frames with foundation in the bottom. I hope that will encourage them to start working the upper box. I also found the queen while I was in the hive. She sure is pretty. She is darker in color that most of the queen photo's I have seen.

Anyway, I feel pretty good about the other hive as well. They are much more quiet, and do not seem as frantic as they were. I did not disturb them, in the event that the queen had just hatche out yesterday, or even early today, I did not want to keep her from tearing down the remaining queen cells.

Thanks so much for your help in beekeeping. I am really enjoying this.