Snow Melt as Clue to Hive Status?

Bee related information that doesnt fit any where else

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Jacobs
Guard bee

Snow Melt as Clue to Hive Status?

Post by Jacobs »

I'm keeping a close eye on one of my hives. This one has been the most active during the last several warm days. I have been keeping a jar feeder about 30 feet away form the hives to give the bees something to go to, and this hive seems the most enthusiatic.

Today I noticed that the snow/slush melted off the top of this hive where others have just started to melt. I'm thinking that either these bees are building population faster and earlier than the other hives or they are running through their stores faster and have move up higher than the other hives.

As soon as weather permits, I want to do a quick pop of the top on this one, and if it needs food, put a spacer on and dry sugar on newspaper over the frames.

Any bets on what I find?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Don't think I want to bet. I think you just described the situation.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

With full sun on the hives and 39°F, the bees were flying to my jar feeder. I popped the top on the hive I was concerned about. The bees had not moved into the top medium super and they have a good amount of stores, so I closed it back up. I feel better about their food situation for the time being.