Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

A Place to Describe or Review Beekeeping Equipment or Products You Have Made or Purchased

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Pharmacyman
Forager

Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Post by Pharmacyman »

I have 3 backyard hives and want to move to 6. I want to buy a vaporizer to use this winter. Prices vary widely. I read one person saying you want one that doesn't get the OA too hot, that it needs a temp regulator?? Does anyone have any advice about buying an OA vaporizer for a relatively new beekeeper with a small operation? There are a lot of these on the market, so I'm confused now.
Jacobs
Guard bee

Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Post by Jacobs »

I think all of the lower priced wands are pretty much the same-no temperature controls and you give it your best shot.
reedyfork
Guard bee

Re: Oxalic Acid Vaporizer

Post by reedyfork »

As far as I could tell, there was not much difference between all the wand-style OA vaporizers. I used one for years with a motorcycle battery, but once I got past ~5 colonies, I had to look at other alternatives.

I wanted a larger capacity for the amount of OA (like 4 g or more), temp control, more efficient use, and no risk of setting my hives on fire.

Ended up making an investment and bought the ProVap a few years ago. I don't know if this is the "best" battery-powered vaporizer on the market now, but I do know I could never go back to the wand-style now! It's just WAY too easy and efficient. I already had several batteries from my hand tools, so they just get charged the night before and I can easily hit all 25-30 colonies in no time at all - no cords, no measuring, no heavy motorcycle/car batteries, and I can easily adjust the amount of OA delivered depending on the size of the hive.