Keeping Bees in a Log

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Keeping Bees in a Log

Post by Guest »

I have had bees in the past, and know a little bit about it, however, I do not know as much as some of you I am sure. I have noticed near my house, a yard that has two traditional hives, and what appears to be a log, set on a stand, with a slant roof cut on the upper end with a plywood roof covering. I have not been close enough to know if this is what I perceive it to be or not. But I was wondering what the industry opinion was of keeping bees in a log, and thus not have the ability to inspect and medicate the bees properly?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Hi!
I think for curiosity and behavior study that keeping bees in a log is most interesting. Of course the government likes to take all the fun out of things and actually keeping bees in anything without moveable frames is strictly prohibited. The exact reasons that you stated are the reasons why you cant. No ability to inspect for disease and pests.
I have known folks to tempoarily keep bees while in log gums while thay were getting them out and I am sure that is fine.
best of luck,

Kurt