Drones thown out?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

yoyo
Newbee

Drones thown out?

Post by yoyo »

Hi all, I have noticed 5 -6 drones out front of the hive in the grass. Is this a case of them being thrown out? Any bees from this hive in the grass seems to crawl around seemingly without a purpose or direction. I looked for mites but none were found on the drones in the grass. This is the colony we extracted from the wall two weeks ago. They are really drinking the sugar water, but only maybe one out of every 20 bees have pollen on them. The other hive, I just purchased a 5 frame nuc, every bee has pollen. They ( Italians) seem to be a little lighter color at the beginning of the thorax than the other hive ( feral). I have been making a couple of screened bottom boards for them. Thay are on solids bottoms now.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

My bees have been chewing the drones wings off and draging them out of the hives to their death :cry: . Only the strong survive.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Nature

Post by Ron Young »

During a time of low nectar, they will remove those who do not contribute. This is nature.