Farmers appreciation day

Postings related to current events or news about honey bees and beekeeping

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Farmers appreciation day

Post by Kurt Bower »

Please consider helping with the following. I can provide an observation hive if you need one. Just let me know if you are able to help.
thanks,
Kurt

The Sixth annual Farmers Appreciation Day is coming up at the Greensboro Farmers' Curb Market on Saturday, Sept. 8th (7 am to noon). I hope that I have contacted you in time this year. We would love to have you do an exhibit this year. The exhibit is always popular, especially with children. Farmers’ Appreciation Day is a fun event with music and food, including free breakfast for the exhibitors. Please let me know if the Beekeepers Association will be able to participate.

Gerry Alfano
City Beautiful Coordinator
Parks & Recreation Department
PO Box 3136
Greensboro, NC 27402-3136
Ph. (336)574-3547
Fax (336)373-2943
e-mail gerry.alfano@greensboro-nc.gov
Ron Young
Guard bee

It looks like I am off

Post by Ron Young »

In looking at my calendar, it appears that this will be on my second day off, so I would love to help. Just let me know.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

And where might this market be located?

What kind of help do you need?
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

This event is held at the downtown Greensboro Farmers Market across from the old War Memorial Stadium where the Greensboro Bat's used to play.
The event from my understanding will encompass a couple of beekeepers and an observation hive standing around taling to people as they come through and educating them on the benefits of honey bees.
I personally will not be there! This will require others to make contact, gather additional details and show up on the appointed day. I am assuming that there will also be an opportunity to sell some honey if you so desire.

thanks again,

Kurt
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I spoke with Gerry today. We have a 10 by 10 space and they provide folding chairs and both 6 and 8 foot tables. If we want to hang posters, we have to provide the back drop.

Ok, let's see what kind of ideas you can come up with. You can sell honey or other bee products if you desire. I have ordered 1000 honey straws to pass out to the kids. Kurt has offered bee posters.

Any more ideas or volunteers are welcome.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I have a lap top computer that we can use for a slide show. We can have pictures of bee yards, cutouts, bees or whatever. I can bring my bee suit and smoker, queen cage, a wax coated cardboard nuc. I also have a 4x4 sheet of paneling that we can use as a back drop for posters.
Ski
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

You may want to verify that power is available in order to keep a slide show going for the duration.

Kurt
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Thanks for the thought Kurt. Computer batteries will only last an hour. I will give Gerry a call and see where we may be located.
Thanks,
Ski
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I talked with Gerry about the farmers appreciation day and found out that they will have tents set up for the vendors and us. We can have power IF we would like to be located right next to the food vendor. I asked Gerry if we could get back to her about the location. She does not have us located for power at the this time but she is willing to relocated us.

:?: My opinion is that the food vendor may be a distraction to what we may be doing but I wanted more opinions.

I have been to the regular Saturday markets but I have not been to an appreciation day.
Ski
Ron Young
Guard bee

When do we need to get together to work things out.

Post by Ron Young »

When do we need to get together to start working on things? I guess there is not a real big hurry, seeing that we have over a month!
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

>>>>I guess there is not a real big hurry, seeing that we have over a month!<<<<

Famous last words. I say.....The sooner the better.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Ski and I have the exhibit laid out and ready for set up. Jacob and TJ have volunteered to manage the booth for a while Sat. I need to know what hours Jacob and TJ will be available. I also need to know Ron's schedule.
Thanks
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I'm planning on being there from start to finish. When you don't need me, I'll just wander around and buy stuff to eat!
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

I need to come early and be gone by 11am. I'll stay for 2 hours. What time would you like me - 9am or 7am, to help setup? I've never been so can someone tell me the intersection cross streets and where exactly the exhibit will be?
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

THe address for the farmers appreciation day is,
501 Yanceyville St
Greensboro, NC 27405-7815

we will be in the back parking lot we should not be hard to find.
TJ
Forager

Post by TJ »

Sorry about the late notice guys but I won't be able to be there after all. My daughter has her first violin lesson tomorrow morning and I thought my hubbie could cover it for me, but he's not able to. Will be at the meeting though and look forward to seeing you there. TJ
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

Farmer's Appreciation Day was a really good experience. Wally made lots of new friends for honeybees and beekeepers. Several organizations may want speakers and we may have visitors/new members as a result his his and Ski's efforts. I had too much fun to leave the booth (except for extreme necessity). I hope to be part of the team doing this next year.
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

I also thought things went well at the Farmers appreciation day. Wally, Rob Jacobs and I worked the booth and had some fun met a lot of nice people and enlightened quite a few people about where honey comes from and where bees live. Rob had a honey bee landing on his finger collecting honey people liked that. A lot of people liked Wally’s free honey on their biscuits and grits from the food stand next to us. Met several people that may come to the meetings and a few that belonged to the club years ago some with bees some without. Overall it was a tiring but FUN day.

Some things that I think may make the booth better:

A sign or banner with : GUILFORD COUNTY BEE KEEPERS

Some hand outs – Maybe the newsletter with a note that there will be bee-keeping classes in the spring. That would have covered the web site and from there directions to the Ag center. We had several requests for directions and the web site.

Any handouts about bees and pollination would have been good – maybe Guilford County could help with those.

Maybe the basic bee-keeping book would have been nice as well.

This was my first exhibit and would do it again; if you haven’t tried it you are missing out.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

I think he talks to them, too.

Yes, it was a lot of fun. It always is when meeting the public.

Ron Young
Guard bee

Hate I could not be there

Post by Ron Young »

Hate I could not be there. I really wish I could have participated.