How far apart should they bee?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Wally's Angels
Forager

How far apart should they bee?

Post by Wally's Angels »

We decided to move them to a spot that gets just a little bit more sun but also gets shade during the late afternoon and evening. The old spot was only getting bright sun during the middle few hours of the day and Caleb's bees were just getting crankier and crankier. Mr. Wayne was telling us that his bees that don't get enough sun are extra crabby and as he was talking I was thinking of how crabby I get when I don't get enough sun and it all made sense to me.

We moved Caleb's bees first, but then decided that Taeler's bees needed a little more sun too and now all 3 hives are in a row side by side. But I meant to ask ( I know Wally, I should ask first then do but I was trying to hurry and get the rest of my work done).... how far apart should the hives be? Right now there is a good 3 1/2 to 5 feet between them and there doesn't appear to be any problems but I want to make sure it's right before I leave them like that. I know I should know this but for some reason I can seem to find that file in my head or my books!
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Far enough apart to work from the side of the hive comfortably. In Europe, they have them touching them. As you get more hives, it is better to space them a little farther apart to discourage drifting.
Wally's Angels
Forager

Post by Wally's Angels »

thanks bunches Wally!!! I'm glad I don't have to move them again, even with the biggest of the kids helping those things are ALOT heavier now than they were when we put them out there!