double or single brood chambers / bee suit questions

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

double or single brood chambers / bee suit questions

Post by p51d »

Newbie questions: Is there an advantage in North Carolina for a single brood chamber and one medium for the winter or two full size broods. I forgot to ask this question at the last meeting. I have one brood and one medium seperated by a queen excluder and the bees look fine.

Two broods = more bees during the season?

Bee suits, I figure it is smarter for a full size suit for all year. Where is the est place for one? Brushy Mountain is pretty pricey, Dadant is a bit cheaper?

What is everyone's preference? Full suit or inspection jacket? :?:
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Hey p51d

Brood boxes
I am completing my first year in April so I am still learning.
My two hives ended up in a single deep each with mediums on for food storage. I will let the more experienced give you the pro's and con's and which is better.

Suit
Some times I don't wear any protection, sometimes I wear just a vail and in the fall and like right now its good to have a suit, but I think I could get along pretty easy with just a jacket. IF you plan on doing any cutouts it may be good to have a suit at least it is for me.
bdloving
Forager

box options

Post by bdloving »

it is a balancing act, you want to leave the bees enough stores to get thru the winter, but with our winters, 1 brood and 1 medium super usually does just fine. with 2 deep brood boxes, if the bees fill that with honey stores, it cuts down on your 'take' sometimes to the point of nothing at all.

also consider the effort for you of lifting multiple 50 pound boxes full of brood, bees and honey. In spring, you might end up reversing the boxes 2 or more times.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Brood chamber
Use what you have. During the Spring, you will be lucky to contian the bees to 2 deeps. I run a combination and taylor it to the bee buildup. When overwintering, I sometimes break them back down to 2 mediums or a deep and a medium.

Suit
I personally think that a suit is more beneficial to the commercial beekeepers or those that move bees frequently. If you are simply managing bees in one location, then I like a jacket.
Moving bees requires more protection because they get angry! :twisted:
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

I will be trying to go with a bigger brood box this year. I went with one deep last year. Maybe I will try just adding a medium to my deep and see how that works. I want more bees than I have now. I think some of that will be dependent upon my feeding and managing them going in to the winter.

I just wear a veil and gloves. Can't say I would go with the suit but I know that several beeks do. I am trying to go with what Wally wears but it will take a little more time. :wink:
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

thanks for the replies. I think I will stay with the brood and one medium as this seems to have worked this year plus I supppliment the feed.

I have one hive with italians which I can work well around with a veil, jacket and gloves and I have another that are aggressive. You better have protection around them.

I have the beginners veil and gloves from BM but if there is a little openning they will find it..

Lesson learned last year and anytime I work them I have a veil. You face swells ready bad with one sting to the forehead.

BM is expensive for both the jacket and suit so I am looking for alternatives. I plan on splitting a hive and during harvesting they are how to say....denfensive.
bdloving
Forager

Post by bdloving »

I have settled on a jacket with veil and a pair of painters white pants over my regular jeans, works well now that I know to protect my ankles :shock:

Yes the ladies will find the chink in your armor sooner or later.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

:lol: :lol: :lol: What a lesson to learn. My son has tried to learn it twice now. :lol:
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I have the beginner veil from BM but I don't like tying it up and then putting a jacket one so I am trying the figure if the BM jacket and veil is the way to go...i know another beekeeper with a full suit. He does not have the "fun" I have....

The bees will find an opening if there is one...via pants or....just a little crease in the veil....
bdloving
Forager

Post by bdloving »

Take a look at the Dadant veil/jacket combo. I have had good use of mine, and the only time bees got in was when I forgot to zip it up!

https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=768
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The veil/jacket combo seems to be preferred by most hobbyists, from what I read.

I personally prefer the suit my mother gave me for my birthday. Otherwise known as birthday suit. :D

The only time I seem to get stung is when the bee gets trapped between my skin and clothing. Without clothing, they just land on me and fly away.
Locust&Honey

Post by Locust&Honey »

Now that....is Classic Wally!!! Too funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
bdloving
Forager

Post by bdloving »

yeah Wally, just don't drop a frame box. Images of a ball of angry bees heading upward from the ground, and all that hair to get tangled in. :shock:
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

I think I will take everyone's advice on a jacket and veil.

Wally is a better man than I am. If I wear a veil then the guard bees love to get me...plus...one of my hives is a little more aggresive than the other...man...they love to bang on my veil and I don't think they are love taps.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

>>>>Wally is a better man than I am.<<<<

Naw, just dumber.