How often do you spin?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

How often do you spin?

Post by p51d »

I spun in late June last year and again in August as I had enough to harvest and enough store for the winter. Only one hive then, now five hives so do most of you wait till August? Earlier?

I bet everyone has a preference so I am curious.

thanks.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

As little as possible, as much as needed.
My customers demand honey early in the season, so I take off what I can in early June.
If it is capped it is going to be extracted.
I probably extract half a dozen times between June and August. But I do not count since I keep hives in VA as well as Sparta.

Kurt
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

When I had bees for honey, I harvested anytime I found a fully capped super. I also used only deeps, so each box would yield about 4 gallon.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

wow..o.k. last year I spun in mid June and then in August. This year we were debating whether it was best to keep putting honey supers on and spinning in August.

So most people spin more than once or twice during the season? This is pretty exciting to find out.

My beeds last year worked out two honey supers along with the brood. I don't have a place to freeze and the bees seemed to survive fine with a brood and one super for the winter.

Do you supplement by feeding in August? If you do, then the honey is not pure..no?