feeding

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

don ellis
Newbee

feeding

Post by don ellis »

what's the correct mixture to feed now? I just looked at two of my hives and they are dead. It looks like they starved. I was counting on a good fall flow that did'nt happen.
don
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Don,
I also found light hives due to a poor fall flow and/or robbing. Theyare still alive so far but its a long time till the next flow.
The common mixture is 1:1 in the spring and 2:1 (2 parts sugar 1 part water) in the fall winter. You can also add a 'Honey Bee Healthy mixture to the syrup to entice them to take it a bit faster.
I also have sugar on newspaper on the top bars to help control moisture and emergency feeding.
Good Luck,
Ski

'Honey Bee Healthy
mixture 5 cups water
2 1/2 pounds of sugar
15 drops each of spearmint and lemongrass oils
1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules
You have to dissolve the granules in very hot (almost boiling) water and let it cool prior to incorporating the oils into the mixture. The lecithin is an emulsifier and helps disperse the oils in the water mixture. This is the standard recipe according to a website article I read about using essential oils, and these are the two oils used in the HBH.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Hi Don,
Ski anwsered with a great answer.

My wife gives me the evil eye because I buy 25 lb bags of sugar. Personally, I do 1:1 in the spring and fall for feeding. Just my preference.

Don't feel bad, I went thru the Beekeeping class a couple of years ago and was proud of my one hive until I came back from vacation in August and they were almost dead. Basically tey ate everything and starved.The hive died so I learned and moved on with the help of the guys on this board.

This year seemed very bad as I had supers about 80% in July hoping to spin in AUgust with honey supers at 100%. I was surprised as there was only 10% left.

Needless to say I am thankful the winter food super was still 100% and I continue feeding.