Ants

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

whg3
Nursebee

Ants

Post by whg3 »

This afternoon I noticed a lot of ants on my hive. What should or can I do about it? I appericate any suggestions! :oops:
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

whg3,

The ants were on your hive.

Are they going into the hive? Are they causing a problem?

If they are just on the hive that is not a problem.

If the hive is strong there should not be a problem.

If they are going in the hive and the hive is new or weak and they are stealing stores or larva or eggs and you want to do something you can find a lot of ideas on Beesource. Do a search for ants. You should find solutions from setting the hive legs in oil containers, boric acid (20 mule team borax laundry detergent) mixed with jelly or sugar, to axel grease on the hive legs and more.

I have had ants going into my hive top feeder and taking syrup, once the feeder was gone so were the ants, doesn't hurt to share.

Let us know how it woks out.
Happy Easter.
Ski
jae
Forager

Post by jae »

HOW, HOW I ask are we to have a strong hive with one thing after another causing havic? Here's what I plan to do when my bees arrive === The legs that are the stand that the hive will sit on is going to be in a can with oil in it so nothing can crawl up into my hives. Even if it rains the ants and bugs will not want to swim to get to the leg. :evil: I am so annoyed by bugs, virus' etc and I don't even have my bees yet. I'm trying to learn how to avoid what I can so hopefully I too will have strong hives and I want to do it without chemicals. :D
drewgrim
Guard bee

Post by drewgrim »

another thing works well is cinnamon. if they are getting in the feeder just sprinkle in along the edge. just make sure it is thick enough that they cant find a path past it. the ants will clear up in a day or two. at one point last year i just had a big circle of cinnamon all the way around my hives. it works and the bees don't mind it, or if they did they didnt tell me.
whg3
Nursebee

Ants

Post by whg3 »

Thanks to everyone. I did the cinnamon thing later yesterday afternoon and have not seen the ants today at all. :idea: I will be keeping a close watch. :lol: