My bees are swarming!

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

SmithN
Guard bee

My bees are swarming!

Post by SmithN »

I've had 5 or 6 swarms this week! The reason I say 5 or 6 is the swarms in these pictures. A beekeep with 25+yrs keeping bees believes it to be 2 swarms. We hived both swarms but, later the same day the swarm collected at the "beebath" vanished. I kept 2 swarms, gave 2 away and lost 1 or 2! The pictures were taken 4-16-09 before noon.

Tired of chasing insects, Norma :wink:

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Nice pics.
It might be time take off the entrance reducers.

Kurt
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Norma,
Did the swarms come from your hives?
Ok, :oops: Just read the title of your post.

I had a lot of swarms last year, my second year. The first couple were a lot of fun. But I quickly wanted to be catching some one elses swarms instead of mine. I also think that is why my supers of honey never got capped. Multiple swarms reduced the worker population.

Norman sure presented a lot of swarm prevention options at the last two meetings. I am checker boarding the best that I can and so far no swarms yet.

Look at the bright side it was fun catching the swarms and you have increased your hive count. :D

May your honey always be tasteful and your smoker always stay lit.
Ski
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

Glad you like the pics Kurt. I have the entrance reducers on for mite treatments, just finishing the 3rd week and plan to remove them soon.

Thanks Ski, I quickly wanted to be chasing someone elses bees too! :wink:

Norma
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Yes sir, I am checkerboarding this year.
I am checkerboarding the best I can.
Well it wasn't good enough, got a nice 2-3 lb swarm had to be from one of my hives, it was in a small peach tree 20 feet in front of my hives about 6 feet off the ground.
Yes sir I am checkerboarding this year GRRRR.

hmmm maybe that will be the ony one. lol.