Protective clothing?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

4Paws
Newbee

Protective clothing?

Post by 4Paws »

I'm currently visiting my 2 brand new hives about 2 or 3 times a week to feed and inspect. I am wearing some tyvek coveralls and a hat & veil combo. The tyvek coveralls seem to work quite well (I learned that blue jeans don't) but are starting to wear out. Any suggestions as to what I should replace the coveralls with? And is there an upgrade I should consider to the hat and veil that came with Brushy Mtn's beginner kit?

When I remove the inner cover to expose the top feeder I get a lot of bees in the air paying attention to me, I consider this normal but would prefer not to get stung.

Thanks for your time.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

The first thing I would do is to get a better feeder. If you have to go into your bees to feed them, you are working too hard.
Check out https://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=761
or http://www.beecare.com/indexDynFrames.h ... eder.htm&1
or http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/pr ... number=688

No clothing is sting proof except maybe http://www.beeproofsuits.com/

I am surprised you are getting stung through the jeans. Any good bee suit, preferably with a zip in veil, is probably for you.

Kurt
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

It sounds more like you need to go into a few hives with an experienced beek. You should not have many bees in the air when feeding. Also, I have been stung through jeans maybe 4 times in 30 years. You are doing something to upset the bees.
4Paws
Newbee

Post by 4Paws »

I must be doing something to upset them.
I'm using the hive top feeder but the hive seems to get quite excited when I remove the inner cover. The first feeding or two after installing the new nucs were simple and fast, since the hive has grown feeding has become "an adventure". They are still taking better than a gallon of syrup every 3 days.

I'd welcome advice.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

If you are using a hive top feeder, the inner cover shouldn't be on the hive. Put it in the garage or somewhere until you quit feeding. Just lift the outer cover and slide it forward enough to fill the feeder. Do it from the back of the hive. The bees should never know you are there.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Perhaps this one has gone queenless?
Have you checked recently for eggs or a queen?
4Paws
Newbee

Post by 4Paws »

Will place inner cover in storage until needed, thanks.

Haven't checked recently (2 weeks) for queen or new eggs. The hive grew rapidly - I've added two medium supers since installing the original nuc and they were both being used - and is quite active. Since they have become bothered by my attention I've just been feeding them and observing without going into the hive.

Do you recommend an examination?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

yes
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

This weather has put the bees in an unusual manner lately. I normally can work the bees without regard but have noticed more agreesion than usual.
It would certainly pay to verify that the hive is queenright. I wouldnt do a lengthy exam but only enough to see eggs or the queen.

Kurt
jae
Forager

Post by jae »

What kind of bees did you get? Mine were late and are just now starting to hatch out. Mine never act like that. I may be pushing it but when I go to put the syrup in I don't wear any protection. They don't come to the back of the hive to get me. I only wear my garb when Wally has been over and we are going in to check on what is going on.
You definately need someone who know whats what when you are just getting started like me. I don't know what I would do without Wally. Thank goodness he just lives 5 miles from me but I don't want to annoy him too much either. This week he says I have to check the hive my self........ We'll see how much I can screw up first time by myself. Mine are Carniolan and so far the only one they stung was Myra. and that was because she stuck her big black doberman nose in the entrance. :( My poor baby.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I personally have a variety of bees around the house.
I have had many Carniolans in the past and think that they are a great bee. Where did you get yours from?
I do not see a problem with feeding and no additional protection, but only if you have the right type of feeder.

Kurt
Last edited by Kurt Bower on Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
4Paws
Newbee

Post by 4Paws »

Checked the hives, both look good. Filling out nicely. Went into them late morning on a sunny day with much better results - removed the inner cover and filled the top feeders with syrup. Bees really paid me no attention this time.
When I visited the hives in the evening after dinner are the occasions I had the aggressive attention. Hopefully I can fill the feeders now by just raising the cover and sliding forwards a little - should be a fast visit.

I believe that the time of day I visited coupled with my lack of experience riled up the bees more than needed.

Nucs through GCBA.
jae
Forager

Post by jae »

Kurt,

When I oredered my Carniolans I was under the impression they were in Ohio when in actuality this guy lives in Ohio but gets them from Northern Calif.

Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

That sounds reasonable.
I will do some looking when I order again.
thanks!