Is This True? A Penny on a Sting?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

jae
Forager

Is This True? A Penny on a Sting?

Post by jae »

I just got an email from my son in Calif. "Mom is this true?" I will have to ask the folks who would know. The article says a lady working in her yard got stung by a bee and hornet. Both swelled, got infected. She had to go to the Drs. for antibiotics and he told her the next time she gets stung to put a penny on it for 15 mins.
That evening her sister got stung so she tried it on her. No swelling, and no sting. She figured she just wasn't allergic to the bees. Next time out she got stung and put the penny on. She said it took the stink right out of it. No swelling. True ? Anyone ? People in California are counting on my beekeepers knowledge on this... lol 8) I say, "What do you have to loose to try it??" chuckle But seriously has anyone used this method?
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

The theory has been around many years. No two people's anatomy reacts the same. It may work for some and not others.

I wore a copper bracelet for years after dislocating my wrist. It helped ease the pain and gave me more flexibility. Was it the copper, or would it have healed the same way without it? Who knows?
drewgrim
Guard bee

Post by drewgrim »

after getting stung in the eye i was desperate to find a quick cure. i tried everything and the only thing that works is time and ice.