feeding time???

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

p51d
Guard bee

feeding time???

Post by p51d »

so I look at the last messages in regards to feeding. Is everyone feeding? My new bees are good and I am waiting for extra brood supers for the Russians as they are doing well.

My other hives have honey supers.

I thought you should not feed with honey supers on otherwise the honey will be contamination.
jae
Forager

Feeding?

Post by jae »

When I got my bees in May I asked Wally how long would I have to feed them. He said "A few days, feed them until they don't want anymore." This is July and my girls grew straws out of their mouth and never quit. They are sugar syrup aholics. Who in their right mind would pass up a free meal?? Chuckle, chuckle-- LOL And what do I get in return. They will keep their honey to get through the winter. Boo Hoo - Now aint that a slap in the face. When I go down to the hives with syrup I see all these little smiles. Fluttering their wings in glee. I ask you are they doing any of this work or just taking advantage of me? :?: Something to think about.

Actually, I got mine for pollenation not for a bounty of honey. That would have been an extra ! I want healthy bees so I am trying to do what I can to aid these little critters. :wink:
Last edited by jae on Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Some people would say that feeding the bees make them lazy.
Come on... we are talking about honey bees.
I am currently feeding but have no honey supers on. You never feed with the supers on. The honey flow is over and you should probably have your supers off or should be taking them off in the near future. The bees get hungry this time of year and may need a boost.
I encourage feeding new bees until the brood chamber is drawn out and they have enough sugar syrup/honey to over winter. You may still have to do a summer/fall feeding.
Just don't starve the bees to death. :cry:
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

Thanks for the responses. I will start feeding again.

Kurt, feed for a month? There is a fall flow...yes?? were honey supers can go back on??
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

To JAE: Thanks for you message as well. The new hives yes I feed and my new hives yes, they must be built up.

I got Russians this year and they have filled the brood chamber completely. Italians seem to eat more this time of year. I have established italian hives whic have had honey supers this year and have been spun.

Probably I need to put the veil on and take a look.

Honey production (my view) was not so good this year.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

You observations are correct about Russians and Italians.
Fall flow yes but not worth trying to keep.
Most beekeepers hope for some fall honey to help boost stores for the winter.
Feed as needed, when needed as much as needed. :)
sprayburn
Nursebee

Russians, feeding and brood

Post by sprayburn »

OK, I am a brand new beekeeper, had my two Russian hives since May. According to everyone we asked, we had missed the flow so we began feeding for the summer. Well apparently I forgot to ask the bees!

My girls have grown steadily in both number as well as resoucefullness. It took about 4 weeks for them to draw out comb and fill the lower of two hive bodies with brood. They had also begun to draw out the upper hivebody combs. Three weeks ago I found they had filled 70% of the upper hive boddies with capped honey. About half of that had a dark golden color. Two weeks ago I found my queens had started laying brood (nice patterns) in the upper hive bodies.

I am inspecting again later today but I am still feeding since they are still growing the hive. They are still bringing in pollen and neighbors up to 2 miles away have reported seeing "small, dark honeybees" working flowers on their properties. So the idea of feeding them would make them lazy, doesn't match what I am seeing with my Russian girls.
p51d
Guard bee

Post by p51d »

One of the hardest things with beekeeping is knowing what to do in your particular case. For example, Kurt, Wally, and the beekeepers online and from the club are giving great information. What you have to do is listen and act if needed. My Russians are very similiar and have lots of stores built out. My italians, I watch very closely as you should for your Russians as well. My first year my single italian hive I started looked excellent this time of year and was dead in two weeks. (starved to death). I lost a hive this year that looked great before the snow, froze after the snow.

Keep and eye on them. Rely and listen to the great info from our resources is great advice. My Russians, I am feeding and take one gallon of feed a day per hive!

My advice, keep and close eye on them, and have multiple hives. Sux if you have one, and lose it.