honey bees in schoolyard tree, Greensboro - help?

Try posting here when needing or sharing information about the removal of honey bees from unwanted locations.

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

neighbor

honey bees in schoolyard tree, Greensboro - help?

Post by neighbor »

Our neighborhood (Aycock historic neighborhood) has a nest of honeybees in a very old willow tree on the local school property. A large rotten branch recently fell from the tree, exposing the nest. The county just wants to exterminate the bees. We don't know what to do to save the bees, or how to get a cherry picker (especially on a weekend) or how to pay for it all, though we may try to pool our money together.

We're starting a neighborhood garden and could perhaps consider keeping the bees there, but I don't think any of us in the neighborhood have beekeeping experience. We would be just as happy to donate the bees, but we don't want to kill them, nor do we want to destroy the tree - nor do we want the kids at school to get stung.

Thanks for any suggestions!
-Grace
ski
Guard bee

Post by ski »

Are you sure they are honey bees?
How high up are they?
How much of the nest can you see?
How large is the hole in the tree?

Some pictures would help.
neighbor

Post by neighbor »

I don't know, sorry. I haven't personally seen them. Maybe I'll go and see if I can take pictures now. (Are bees in a newly-exposed nest dangerous? I'm not generally shy of bees, but I've never been close to a nest. I think most of us have been staying away to keep safe.)

Is it something that needs to be taken care of immediately? Or would it hurt if we waited a few days? (Unless the county decides to act quick and kill them first.) Apparently one local beekeeper did look at them and said he would be able to remove the nest if we (the neighborhood) provided a cherry-picker. But that's proving to be rather difficult.
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

you can call me at 302-2708 and we can discuss it.
neighbor

Post by neighbor »

Thank you, Wally! It was great talking to you. Here are some pictures. Hmm, I think it may be higher than I said. I'm not very good at judging measurements, so I don't know how high that is!

click for large image
M Gall
Nursebee

need Help

Post by M Gall »

Wally,
If you need any help with this give me a call.
Mike and Patty Galligani
370-1620
neighbor

Post by neighbor »

I think we have a beekeeper lined up to do the removal if we can just get the county to provide a cherry-picker (and stop them from exterminating them). Or, since the county will have to bring someone to cut off the remains of the limb, we're hoping they'll let the beekeeper be involved and take the whole nest and limb in one piece. We just have to wait and see what the county will say.

Wally, you were telling me about a school that has a bees nest, and they take the kids out to see it and teach them about bees and honey. How do they keep the kids safe from getting stung? I've never been stung by a bee, actually, so I don't know how provoked they have to be.
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

Hello,
Kurt Bower called me about these bees on the day the limb fell. I have been working with Rebecca Fagg and the city forestry manager as well as being in contact with the county who is responsible for the property at the school. I plan on utilizing a cherry picker to either cut the snag and lower to the ground to extract or extract without lowering to ground. Too many people have gotten involved and proposed everything from extermination to letting them go as they will cover over the damage with propolis. If someone else is going to tackle this please let me know as I will back off and quit spending my time.
John
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

The Good Morning Show on Channel 2 just ran a live story from the tree removal site and is going to have more in the 7:00 o'clock segment. Sounds like John is going to have a good crowd when he goes up on the lift and saves the bees.
bdloving
Forager

News & Record article this am

Post by bdloving »

good article on front page about this extraction. also a video on their website
http://www.news-record.com/