Add a super now?

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

4Paws
Newbee

Add a super now?

Post by 4Paws »

I've been consistently feeding my two new hives since getting them as nucs in late spring. Currently have a total of three shallow mediums for each of the hives. When feeding them over the weekend I discovered that in the stronger hive they have built up a lot of comb inside the hive top feeder during the past week. All the frames in the other mediums are built up.

Is it too late in the year/season to add another medium for them?
Any other suggestions?
Jacobs
Guard bee

Post by Jacobs »

I don't think it would hurt to put another super on. If they have largely filled the lower supers that they have built out and if you continue to feed they may draw out some more comb. I will be looking at my hives from nucs in the near future to see how much capped sugar water honey they have and may put on another super and feed heavily to see if I can get them to draw more comb. I have plenty of freezer space now so that I can bank capped sugar water honey to distribute to light hives going into winter.

Drawn comb is a good thing to have, especially when the spring flow is good and you want to have the bees fill it quickly or if you are putting a package or new nuc into a hive and they don't have to start from scratch.