Has anyone in this area tried to winter a five frame nuc

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Has anyone in this area tried to winter a five frame nuc

Post by Ron Young »

Has anyone in this area ever tried to winter a five frame nuc?
John Sabat
Forager

Post by John Sabat »

Ron,
I have only tried one but it turned out to be one of my strongest hives. By early spring of 08 it was stacked 3 high. The original colony come from a cutout near A & T college around early September 07 and was a very young colony. Very little wax comb and very little honey. The queen laid a great pattern. Before I move them into a medium hive body I started losing bees by the double handfuls every day. I had Kurt over to observe as well as Don Hopkins. I lived beside a high school football and baseball field and I felt they had sprayed some kind of pesticide on these field and the workers brought it in. Don took some samples and sent them off to NC State. I have not heard back from State yet. It continues to lose bees but not as many. It is still a very strong hive. I feel the suspected poison was stored in their honey reserves and those being fed by this are doomed. I would have no problem with trying to winter over a weak colony in a nuc again. Hope this helps.
John
ttthay
Newbee

Post by ttthay »

I over wintered 2 five frame nucs last winter. I would just feed them some sugar water on the warmer days and they seemed to make it just fine. They are still strong this summer.
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

good to here, I going to try it.
SmithN
Guard bee

Post by SmithN »

Sorry I'm a little late replying to the question, I'm only a 2nd year beekeeper but, I over wintered two nucs last year with great success. I set both of the nucs up in Hives this spring and they are still doing good, both are strong hives. I believe it's important to go into winter with healthy bees that have good stores. I had a deep nuc body with a med. nuc super above for stores. I did a mite count, fed fumigilin-B. I fed them syrup as long as weather permitted. I also made a wide spacer, placed it under the inner cover, added a sheet of newspaper on the top bars then poured about 2 lbs. dry sugar onto the newspaper. (I didn't completely cover the top bars with the newspaper I left space around the sides for the bees to get to the sugar). Just in case they needed more stores. I checked the nucs whenever the bees broke cluster, just peeking in to see if they have used any of the dry sugar and adding more if needed. I did add about 2 lbs. more over the winter/early spring. They ate about half of the dry sugar over the winter. They saved the capped honey, both nucs still had a couple frames when spring arrived. I have three nucs set up at this time, not sure how many I will take into winter this year. Hey, if I can do it you can too! :)