Real Wierd

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Ron Young
Guard bee

Real Wierd

Post by Ron Young »

Ok,

I admit, I assumed. Lesson learned, never assume. I checked my hive today for a couple of reasons. I was planning on putting a queen excluder on to isolate the queen in preperation for the split. While I was in, I decided to go into the bottom deep, and see how much brood was in it for the split. Well, none was the answer. So I have decided not to split. The only brood was drone brood, and the rest was pollen stores. So I put the deep containing brood on the bottom, and put the second deep on, and stacked the two supers.

Also, I had put the honey super that I extracted on to be cleaned up. They have it cleaned up very nice, and much to my surprise, they were storing nectar in it. What is blooming now, in this dry spell, that would be producing a medium amber nectar?

So, I am going to feed my five frame alot, try to get them into a ten frame box in about a month. Take one super off of the other hive, and give it to them for winter.

(beekeeping, a continuing education, with no graduation.)
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

Ron:

How much nectar? Are there just individual cells full or are you seeing complete patches of nectar?

Kurt
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

some ini 1 - 2 inch sections, snd others in single cells.
Kurt Bower
Guard bee

Post by Kurt Bower »

I have seen golden rod in bloom but doubt that is what the flow is from.
Nectar in individual cells after placing supers back on to clean up usually is just the left over honey from extraction.

Interesting! :shock:
Ron Young
Guard bee

Post by Ron Young »

It may be thayt I simply did not sling all out, as I did not want to blow out any comb like I did last year. I suppose that they could just be cleaning everything up, and moving it to the center.