changing frames

Local question related to beekeeping in the Piedmont Triad area asked and answered here!

Moderators: Jacobs, Wally

Mike DeHaan

changing frames

Post by Mike DeHaan »

Hi Everyone,

This my first year, starting with 3 hives. My first brood box on each hive was full in June, so I added a second box to each hive. I'm having a hard time getting the bees to populate the second brood house. Is it OK to swap some frames from the full box with some frames from the empty box to spread out the population?

Also, I noticed alot of bees on the outside of the bottom box near the entrance. Is this normal? I would have clusters 8-10 inches high across the box from the entrance going up, so we're talking several hundred bees. I added some syrup and Dadant brood food and they all seem to be inside now. Would a hive swarm instead of filling a second brood box?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike
Wally
Guard bee

Post by Wally »

Not only is it OK, it is recommended...The bearding on the front of the hive is normal in hot weather. If you swap out a few of the frames in the two boxes, it will most likely reduce their beard noticeably.

PS, Welcome to the forum. Hang around awhile. We might get this thing going yet.
No=-Bee's
Nursebee

Post by No=-Bee's »

Wally knows bee's. I have been questioning him all season, and have even been down to play with bees with him some. He is really full of knowledge. I am planning to get bees next spring, and I am gaining as much knowledge from him now, so I hopefully can make a fair go of it next spring. Did you start with all new equipment and packaged bees, or did you do existing colonies?

Welcome.
Ron, "Now with bees"